Fall is almost here! That means warm light and autumn tones. I LOVED meeting this sweet New Jersey family. Makes me so happy that some people plan their vacations and photo sessions at the same time.
Daniella is a bright eyed beauty from Miami and recently signed by a local talent agency. We met at the Kidi Chic spring/summer shoot and her natural talent in front of the camera was obvious. We had a fun time on our shoot with two different looks.
September is a bright, vibrant and sweet 11 year old. She is confident in front if the camera and captivates anyone that photographs her. We met at the spring/summer Fashion line shoot for KidiChic USA . For this shoot September chose 2 lovely summery vibe dresses also from KidiChic! You can check out September's Model work Here
Aria is a professional teen model, however before any of that she is a gorgeous soul! Her spirit is happy, playful and her early Brooke Shields features amd beauty are so captivating. I truly enjoy working with her and her stylist mom. They are the most amazing duo!
We were very lucky to have this hidden gem of a field to ourselves and made some magic 🌟
My girls (6, 2) got in a few shots too.
So thankful I was able to document a tiny portion of my cousin's journey.
25 years of marriage and many more of friendship! Friendship, faith, love, respect and lots of laughter are the ingredients to a happy marriage. Love you guys!!
There are quite a few things that happen before your photo session. To make things go as smoothly as possible, I will ask you some questions and I suggest my clients ask me questions as well.
The most common question I get about preparing for a photo session is: "what do we wear"? I really appreciate this question because I want to help you have the best session ever AND the best photos ever! I want my families to feel confident, look like themselves and be comfortable. The first thing I tell my clients is you don't have to spend extra money on an outfit. Most of the time, there are all the right pieces of clothing already hanging in your closet. I'm blessed with the relationships I develop with my clients and totally love it when I get text messages with photos of a bed full of potential outfits or selfies in the changing room. I want to help style you, so please send me all the photos!! I want to capture the best version of you.
My vision is to capture who you are, this is why we'll go over several location options and get that perfect setting. We also want your outfit to fit that location.
Here are general guidelines:
1. Wear something that you're comfortable in.
2. Start with a color palette and go from there.
3. NO matching outfits!! (there are a few exceptions)While it's cute to have your kids match, or fathers matching with their sons, it just doesn't translate well in the photos. The colors all blend together and it doesn't reflect the unique personalities. Stay away from ALL white or just 1 solid color. The white shirts at the beach is an ancient trend. For example, if dad is wearing a plaid shirt, the son should be wearing a solid shirt. If mom is wearing a floral print, daughter can wear an outfit of the same color scheme without being matchy or floral.
4. Timeless pieces always are the best pick for family sessions. When you see see your photos hanging on your wall 10 years from now, you don't want to think "what was I wearing?".
I make an exception for my model/headshot sessions. Be BOLD, wear something your celebrity alter ego would sport.
5. Choose outfits with textures and layers. Don't be afraid of bringing extra pieces of clothing, you can always put it on or take off during a session for different looks.
6. Accessories are your friend! Bring those scarves, sweaters, jackets, hats, jewelry and hair pieces.
7. Don't be embarrassed by looking for inspiration. Like I said, most people have articles of clothing they can wear. I often refer my clients to check out Gap.com and look at the seasonal picks to help choose color combinations and simple fashionable looks.
8. For the women: Hair & Make-up. Do it! While I don't personally like heavy make-up, professional make up and hair will highlight your best facial features. I can always recommend someone! I'm not saying you have to hire someone to do your makeup or hair, many of us know our way around with mascara and a blow dryer, I'm emphasizing the importance of a fresh and put together look! *If you're a model or headshot client, this is a must.
9. For the men: Wear fitted shirts and slacks/jeans. Leave the oversized t-shirts and button ups for lawn work.
10. For the kids: No cartoon shirts, large print or neon colors. Neon colors create a funky color casting on your face.
Wipe off all stick on body tattoos on any body parts that are visible. No colorful candy or chocolate right before a session or during.
10. Bring a hairbrush/comb for any fly away hair during session.
-Remove any cellphones or wallets from pockets to avoid visible bulges.
I love my clients so much and I want you to be informed and prepared so you'll leave your session feeling excited and expect the best product in return.
Below are some photos of what NOT to wear. The following 2 are NOT my images, I'm only using them as examples.
The family has chosen a color palette, however the dad and boys are wearing all plaid. The mom and daughter are wearing identical outfits. In reality how often does a family intentionally match their family members when they go out for a special occasion? I want to see each unique personality with a color/pattern scheme that flows and brings life to the image.
This was my first time meeting these sweet girls. Their family recently relocated from California, so I was honored they chose me to take some portraits for their holiday photos.
Setting some time apart for catching up and blogging is much easier in my head, but here I go!
I have an October and December baby...well, they're not quite babies anymore...sigh.
Having a seven and a three year old is a rollercoaster of emotions. Some days are filled with baking, gardening, bedtime stories and snuggles, and other days I feel like a referee at a circus on a hidden camera show! My highly creative, fun loving, and inquisitive duo are my world, and I can't imagine life any other way. They inspire me to love harder, teach me about patience and that every day is gift.
I am so in love with these images because the dress she's wearing is an original 1980's Strawberry Shortcake dress that was mine as a toddler. My mom kept it all these years...who knew I would have my *berry* own Strawberry girl <3 I didn't have a bonnet, but thankfully found a vintage one on Etsy for a reasonable price.
Lily at Lilyta Photography